Get theGREENERsurfer Newsletter delivered to your inbox every Monday for free. This is an opt in service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Rolling Wood opens doors in Cape Town, Carissa is your new World Champ, grisly end to Aussie Surfers in Mexico.
Who Blew Up?
1. Carissa Moore. Carissa took out the Target Maui Pro in cooking surf, but not before she won her third world title. If you want to be inspired or perhaps a little intimidated watch the highlights clip of the finals. You have to hand it to the top female pros that their standard in the last couple of years has skyrocketed. This is really about watching great surfers in great waves just going for it, but the cherry on the top for Carissa is that third World Title. What a way to end the year on the women’s tour.
2. Mick Fanning. Mick just had himself a good warm up for Pipe by winning the Sunset Beach event. Sunset is a tricky wave to ride well. It is not the kind of place you want to be restricted by heat sirens and contest vests. It is such a vast playing field out there it is easy to get lost at sea. Mick though had a couple of absolute belters in what was a heavily stacked field. This will have him heading to Pipe with more confidence, which can only be a good thing.
3. Cobus Joubert. Last week Cobus opened the doors to Rolling Wood in Muizenberg and in the process ushered in a new era into SA surf retail. There are now gawdy brand point of sale messages emblazoned all over the walls instead a fine array of master craftsmanship mostly made just around the corner from the shop by a creative collective of designers and artists. Cobus loves wine and he loves wood. He has brought this appreciation into the surf genre and in so doing has contributed to broadening the aesthetic of the Cape Surf scene. This is the kind of shop you’d expect to see in New York or Tokyo, so it is absolutely amazing seeing it come to life in Cape Town. If you are in the neighbourhood get down there and check out the surfboards, handslides, skateboards and pretty fine coffee too boot.
Who Blew It?
1. Everyone who missed the Wavescapes film festival opening at Clifton 4th Beach on saturday night. The beach was packed as surfers flocked to watch the silver screen with sand between their toes. Big props to Spike, Ross, Shani and the crd for pulling off yet another epic event.
2. The Mexican gangsters who killed two Australian surfers. Last week 5 low life Mexican gangsters hijacked and murdered two surfers travelling through the violence plagued Sinaloa State in Mexico. Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman were en route to Guadalajara when they were hijacked and killed. Their van was then set alight. What a sad waste of life. My condolences go out to their families and loved ones.
3. The Trawler spotted off Sodwana. Last week a video broke on FB of a longline trawler operating in the water off Sodwana, loaded by the Waterberg Ski-boot club it clearly shows a trawler trying to escape the attention (and camera) of the ski boat next to it. This prompts the question where the hell are the people supposed to be looking after our marine resources, who does this boat belong to and why are they not being apprehended?