Ricky gets the monkey off his back, Julian is tweaked and a mighty good hemp conspiracy theory.
Who Blew Up?
1. Jason Hearn, Ricky Basnet and Casey Grant. 'No Regrets' is the latest offering from arguably SA’s most prolific surf film maker, Jason Hearn. In it he documents Ricky Basnett’s public coming out as an alcoholic. While Ricky’s mates have known this for a while, to publicly stand up and admit it takes some balls. The thing is, you see a path to healing and a coming to terms with humility in this film. As a kid Ricky was untouchable. Released from the demon in the bottle his surfing is looking better than it has in years. The waves he and Casey surf are crazy and they make good sparring partners in the film.
2. Steve Michelson and Shane Sykes. These guys just dropped 'Silence of Eyes' a short film featuring Shane cutting loose mainly at his home breaks on the KZN North Coast. It is only when you watch the slomo segments that you realise just how tweaked out this guys surfing is. If he can do this in heats consistently then he has a chance on the QS.
3. Afends. Afends is a radical clothing brand out of Australia. Their motto is ‘question everything’. Props go to them for this short film about the suppression of hemp. It is definitely worth a watch. BTW at theGREENERsurfer we started laminating boards with hemp four years ago and they are still going strong!
Who Blew It?
1. The Irish have been charging hard this year, but not without sometimes paying the price. Here is the Mullagmore wipeout reel. Sit back, enjoy and thank your luck stars it is not you! It is great to see that these guys train properly to handle the beatings they get and to minimise the severity of the seriously extreme conditions they are operating in.
2. The Storm Troopers. I have a picture of John-John Florence air dropping into a 10ft barrel at Chopes, somehow setting a rail and standing tall in a violent cathedral of liquid energy, crystal clear water imploding over a shallow tropical coral reef… Screech! Wrong movie. Wake up from the day dream man. These are bored English surfers riding a 1ft tidal bore dressed as storm troopers, oh well what ever floats your boat…
3. The Australian Government. In a move to protect ocean goers, the Australian government has taken the decision to use ‘high tech’ drum lines at a series of NSW’s northern beaches. Firstly I don’t know what is so high tech about taking a huge hook, baiting it and killing the apex predators. To me that sounds about as low tech as you can get. If you want to stretch your mind on this shark situation in Australia (and other parts of the world) do yourself a favour and watch this video featuring South African, Anna Breytenbach sharing her views of what is happening in that part of the world.
#Bruce4Pipe. Is the most creative surfer in the world right now a girl? A pindrop so pretty it will make your balls tingle.
Who Blew Up?
1. Dale and Dane Staples just dropped 'The Dark Continent’ which features some very pretty camerawork and some nifty surfing from the surfing/film maker bro duo. Do yourself a favour and watch this little gem.
2. Wade Carmichael. The bearded Aussie Dark Horse just took out the Hawaiian Pro event at Haleiwa. This shoots him into 13th spot on the WQS and gives him a sniff at qualification going into the Sunset event. Be honest had you ever heard of this guy before this win, wouldn’t it be cool if he qualified for the WCT?
3. The WSL. The schedule for next year has been announced and guess what, J-Bay is back on the schedule after some noise that it might not be following the Mick Fanning shark incident. Good to see that common sense prevailed and a real asset to SA Surfing has been preserved.
Who Blew It?
1. Tom Lowe. There is falling out of the sky and then there is this… Tom Lowe gives us a perfect pin drop at Puerto Escondido. If this was in a diving contest he’d get a 10/10.
2. All those pro surfer chicks posting videos of their asses. In strong contrast to that you have Leigh Dawson who is feminine without being sleazy, but it is not that which made me sit up and take notice of her. It is her completely unscripted and creative approach to wave riding that is compelling. This video is going to change the game from the inside out when it comes to the what young female surfers aspire to, hell what young surfers in general aspire to.
3. The brou ha ha surrounding Bruce Irons competing as a wildcard at Pipe. The fact that there even needs to be a #Bruce4Pipe movement is insane. The guy is a previous Pipe Master, the event is in memory of his brother, just put him in it is a no brainer! UPDATE : The WSL have officially announced Bruce Irons has a spot in the Pipe Masters!!